Suscripciones

A cerca de...

Hi! Mi name is William Gruintal and I'll share with you my personal (and
other people's) experiences of rediscovering the secrets of The Mayan World; a
paradise that you must visit in your next vacation. In this blog I'll talk about
the opportunities available for tourists looking for an ecofriendly and
exiting experience far from the concrete of the big cities.

Suscríbete en formato RSS para leer las actualizaciones en tu lector de noticias (feeds RSS)

8.21.2007

Hurricane Dean hits Quintana Roo! (distance orange alert now)

Image source: Por Esto! news


It is a little bit disturbing to think that just a couple of weeks ago I went to the Bacalar Lagoon to have a break with my family (check the post of 8.07.2007) and just some days after that (today) it had been hit by the forces of the hurricane “Dean”.

I spent the weekend plus yesterday and today in Merida, Yucatan, hundreds of kilometers far from the place where I work (which is Felipe Carrillo Puerto located in the center of the state) so me and my family feel almost none of the effects of the hurricane, but I have information based on the national informative services and from telephone talks with friends that have to stay there, that Chetumal, Bacalar Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Tulum and any place in between were hit a level 5 hurricane Dean, which is the strongest level that a hurricane can reach.

Even when I like to invite people to visit the Riviera and Costa Maya in my posts I would not suggest you to do this in this opportunity because they are in the process of evaluating damages and defining the safeness of the different geographical areas.

Going to the places affected could not be completely safe for an stranger not familiar with the area as all public corporations like police, fireman force, etc. are mostly dedicated to attend issues related to the possible destruction generated by Dean. For places north of Tulum please double check in advance because even when they where not hit directly by the hurricane the hotels and tourist services may not be working normally and, additionally, the Cancun Airport may be a mess. The good news is that, in words of the governor of the state of Quinata Roo, there are no reports of any death people including temporal workers and visitors in the state.

I will travel to Felipe Carrillo Puerto in order to help to evaluate damages there and to be available for help in any place where it could be required.

More news to come…