Suscripciones

A cerca de...

Hi! Mi name is William Gruintal and I'll share with you my personal (and
other people's) experiences of rediscovering the secrets of The Mayan World; a
paradise that you must visit in your next vacation. In this blog I'll talk about
the opportunities available for tourists looking for an ecofriendly and
exiting experience far from the concrete of the big cities.

Suscríbete en formato RSS para leer las actualizaciones en tu lector de noticias (feeds RSS)

8.07.2007

I went to Zac-Ha!

The name “Zac-Ha” means “white water” in Mayan language. This place is part of the very very big Laguna de Bacalar (Bacalar Lagoon) and is one of many almost unknown places around the main town. Around 30 kilometers from Chetumal, Zac-Ha is a small “entrada” (believe me, you wont find it in any brochure) that finishes in a particularly calm side of the lagoon.

For an “entrada” (I think it can be literally translated as “entrance”), in this context, you may normally understand an off road from the highway that finishes in a very small town or private property. Zac-Ha is the second case.

I decided to go because a friend of mine recommended the place, so after a couple of weeks I finally went with my family and a friend on weekend. I have to say that I enjoyed it A LOT!

To get in to, you have to pay the ridiculous amount of 3 Mexican pesos (around US .30). When you are there, you have the option of renting one of the six “palapas” to cover from the sun and to hang your hammock. If you do so, you can stay for hours as long as you brought your food and drinks.

As we brought neither food nor drinks, we decided to stay in the small restaurant area (around 6 tables) where we tried a huge “boquinete” and a medium “pargo” fishes for around 150 pesos (around US 15.00) and beers for 15 pesos each one.

We also rented a kayak which was big enough to keep to me and my wife and son pleasantly floating over the calm water. We paid 40 pesos for one hour.

NOTICE: The water close to the “beach” (it is not properly a beach as it is made manly of grass) is pretty safe for small children (my son is 4) to stay. It is not deep at all for the first 20 meters and after that you can guide yourself for the marks with signs delimiting the medium deep and deep water. Additionally, even if it sounds obvious: never leave your children in the water without supervision.