Suscripciones

A cerca de...

Hi! Mi name is William Gruintal and I'll share with you my personal (and
other people's) experiences of rediscovering the secrets of The Mayan World; a
paradise that you must visit in your next vacation. In this blog I'll talk about
the opportunities available for tourists looking for an ecofriendly and
exiting experience far from the concrete of the big cities.

Suscríbete en formato RSS para leer las actualizaciones en tu lector de noticias (feeds RSS)

7.17.2007

Is Cancun a City, a state or a country?




A common mistake that I have found among foreign people who want to travel to the southeast of Mexico, is that they have several problems to differentiate between (and this is funny for people living in the Peninsula de Yucatan) let's say Mexico, Yucatan, Peninsula de Yucatan, Quintana Roo and Cancun.

I spent the last academic semester of 2006 living with people from different countries in Washington DC and I intentionally ran the experiment of asking those people about the word "Cancun". I have to say that I was amazed by the amount of people that was aware of the word. I would say that more or less 80% of the people I talked to knew what I was talking about and may be 40% (mostly American) had been there at least once.

Among the people that knew the word around 70%-80% had problems identifying if Cancun was a state of Mexico, a city or even a different country! Even people who had been in Cancun and The Riviera Maya were a little bit confused with the topic.

In order to give a little help with this I would dedicate a group of posts to give geographical reference to Cancun and after that I will give more detailed information about where the Riviera Maya and the Costa Maya are located always in reference to Cancun.

Finally, I would talk in the near future about… guess what? Oh yeah Chinchen Itza (some people have asked me about it and I thing is a very good topic to talk about).

For the moment I just want to start saying that Cancun is a CITY (more precisely a port) located in the north area of the state of Quintana Roo which is located in the Peninsula de Yucatan which in turn also includes the sates of Yucatan and Campeche. The Peninsula de Yucatan, of course belongs to Mexico. Please remember it.